Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Francis Francis! X1 Dissection

FF! X1 unpacked, looks great. Shame it doesn't go... (yet)
The front unscrews with 2 screws, the steam knob comes off by unscrewing a (slotted) screw underneath the steam valve (there is an access hole next to the steam arm nut) and then simply unwinding the valve assembly until it comes out. 4 more screws from underneath and the whole top comes off. Talk about easy access!
In the next photo you can see the burn marks where the electronic temperature controller gave up. The board had been removed, and a number of wires removed, so obviously a repair/investigation has been attempted. The red thing is the ULKA vibe pump.

Thermal fuse. Bang. Anyway, this is what a blown thermal fuse looks like. They are usually mounted on top of the boiler, so that if the thermostat fails, they act as a last line of defense and blow before the element is burnt out/house catches fire. When the temperature controller board expired, it must have done so in a way that kept the element on - and the thermal fuse did its job. The thermal fuse is placed first in the phase line, so nothing will work when it blows. If you have a completely dead machine, it is possible that this simple and replaceable fuse is the cause. Of course work out why it blew before you replace it, or buy 2 incase you don't know why - they do blow sometimes with no clear long-term fault.
The 'sensor' for the front panel capillary temperature gauge. It is recessed into a well at the edge of the boiler - it probably does quite a good job of measuring the actual boiler temperature.
This is the output of the ULKA vibe pump. The metal union directs water into the boiler. The plastic pipe exiting at the top returns water to the tank. I have seen it described as a air bleed/release valve to help the vibe pump prime. A lot of CoffeeGeeks adjust the OPV to get a brew pressure of about 8bar. Some machines like the V3 Rancilio Silva have adjustable ones from the factory. The Nemox one was also adjustable, I don't believe this one (or the one in the X3 - which is the same) acts as an OPV or is adjustable. I'll be using the one from the Nemox.
A very simple and easily removed steam valve assembly. Nothing much to say here.
The boiler is held in by 4 screws that go through the chassis and into the group head assembly. If you look closely you will see something very wrong in this photo....
Another bad thing in this photo... Essentially, you can see the brown spot and particularly in the previous photo you can see white oxide from where water has seeped out. Yep - the boiler is perforated... Damn. I haven't included the photo yet, but the pitting from the inside is too extensive to be repaired.
And inside. Pretty nasty in there. Descale, descale... This machine will be rebuilt, but not with FF! parts. Not sure what I will do for a boiler, I am still thinking through options. The Nemox one will fit - but we'll see - I don't like the dispersion screen setup and would prefer brass over stainless steel. As for the temperature controller - I might either just go for a twin thermal button setup as in the Nemox (no electronics) or a cheap PID from Hong Kong Ebay.
A bare chassis. This machine is actually very nice to work on. The access is great, the parts well put together with quality connectors. Shame they used aluminium instead of brass - thankfully they recognised their mistake by the time they made my X3.

I guess the question is what I will end up doing to redeem this lovely machine.

One last comment. Contrary to all the other designs I have seen, the cold water enters at the top of the FF! X1 boiler. I wonder if this was a major reason the original X1 didn't make great coffee. In every machine I have seen, water for brewing exits the boiler via a long copper pipe that draws water from the top of the boiler where it is hottest. When water enters at the side near the bottom, as in the Gaggias, the Nemox and X3 amongst many others, the mixing of cold and hot is delayed, and the new cold water has to pass via the element to the exit pipe. For the older X1 this is not the case, and cold water seems to be able to freely mix with the hot water at the top of the boiler before it is pushed through the copper exit pipe. This would explain the many comments/complaints I have seen about the thermal brew stability of the older X1 machines. Something I will avoid, after all, the whole point of a saturated group head is to achieve thermal stability - why mess it up like that?

23 comments:

  1. Hi Kris
    Very useful guide to a X1 dissection. Bought one few months ago, but boiler is failing : too much nasty stuff in there. I can't figure how to dismantle it to clean the interior.

    How did you open the boiler please ?
    Thanks
    Nico

    ReplyDelete
  2. I learned one thing taking it apart: there are two nuts holding the group head together. so, open the machine, and take the whole assembly off the base. two nuts in front, and one in back. Then, and only then, tackle taking apart the group head. first the bottom nuts holding the chrome assembly that holds the porta filter. then take the bolts out from the top that hold the brass or alum boiler together. then you have access inside. make sense? IM me if you have questions...

    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. These posts all seem pretty dated but hopefully someone may see this and hold the answer! I am trying to remove the steam arm from the unit to see if there is a clog. Have no idea how to do this. Any assistance, much appreciated!

    Megan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you still need help with your x1, let me know as I have repaired more then 60 x1's and 3 x2.

      Regards
      Richard

      Delete
    2. Hi Rich,
      please can I pick your brain (or anyone elses)? We recently returned our lovely green X1 (brass boiler) to Eurofoodbrands as they have purchased the company that I used to previously replace the boiler a few years ago.
      They are saying that "we have tested your machine and the control board has failed" and that "unfortunately this part is no longer manufactured, therefore your machine is no longer repairable"
      However, I opened up the machine prior to sending and had a look, there is no "control board" just the same as in your photo's above.
      Do you know what they may be speaking of? I will call them to ask, but since you have so much experience I thought I'd get your opinion in case it is simply an issue on nomenclature.
      Kind regards
      Alex

      Delete
  4. Hi Kris,

    My 2002 FX1 just stopped working. When I turn it on it pops the GFI. I was about to send it to Oregon for repair when i came across your blog.

    I don't see the thermal fuse you mentioned. How can I determine what the issue is? Any ideas?
    thx
    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  5. @megan on my X1 there is a grub screw which is accessible though a hole below where the arm goes into the machine. It's a bit fiddly though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Note that this appears to be a X-1 with an Aluminum Boiler. I have a brass boiler and am now replacing the heating element for the second time. (It was tripping the ground fault protector, and when I removed it I found the resistances where significantly different for the new vs the old. Just make sure you buy the right element if you are replacing it because the inlet and outlet are at different spacings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. just wondering how difficult it is to replace the boiler gasket. Mine is seeping water and grounds after I found a small segment of a rubber ring had fallen out. I found the replacement part online at electra-craft but am reluctant to purchase it because I am not confident i can make the repair myself, and they are not offering any recommendations. (It would be counterproductive of them to advise me to fix it, I suppose, because they are in the business of fixing coffee machines.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can see no one's responded to this for a while so I'm not sure whether this will be looked at. We have a X1 machine with very little use (but has been in a cupboard for a couple of years) that possibly needs a new pump, bubbles appear in the reservoir and no water is pulled to the pump. After opening it up I see the pump is a ULKA EX4, it doesn't look difficult to replace but I wonder if there's any info online about it? (I've searched). Is it possible to get an airlock in these? Any tips appreciated. I see the ULKA EX5 is available on ebay and I wonder if this would work just as well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hello, I just saw your post now and I don't know if you're still looking for an answer. I had the same problem a few years ago and just dismantled the pump. The internal elements were actually stuck causing the pump to fail. Fortunately, none of the pieces were broken. I disassemble and reassembled them and made sure that they were moving without problem and remounted the pump and it worked.
      You could try that before buying a new pump.
      Make sure that before you start removing the internal parts of the pump that you note or take a picture of where they fit otherwise you won't be able to reassemble them.
      Have fun!

      samy

      Delete
  9. Hi there,

    I am having an issue that was probably caused by my own clumsiness. I've had my machine for a couple months and decided to take it apart completely to descale the boiler manually (it was due..). After descaling and re-assembling successfully I turned the machine on. This is where I think I did a critical mistake: I forgot that there was no water in the boiler so it was heating up while dry. After about 30 seconds the electricity in my apartment was cut and I immediately understood what had happened. Now, electricity cuts once I plug in the machine, even when the machine turned off.

    Note: If I remove the cables to the heater I can turn the machine on and run water through the system, like you can see in the video below. Once I reconnect the cables and plug it in it will cut the electricity.

    So the question is, what do I do? :)

    Thanks for any response to this!

    Video show the problem: [VIDEO]https://youtu.be/qZ0rEOqXDEs[/VIDEO]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A link to the video I made without the formatting: https://youtu.be/qZ0rEOqXDEs

      Delete
  10. i have an old francis x2 aluminium and one heater is gone/ i have to replace it / is 220v.
    problem is that i do not know which one fits/ joseph

    ReplyDelete
  11. i have an old francis x2 aluminium and one heater is gone/ i have to replace it / is 220v.
    problem is that i do not know which one fits/ joseph

    ReplyDelete
  12. i have an old francis x2 aluminium and one heater is gone/ i have to replace it / is 220v.
    problem is that i do not know which one fits/ joseph

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is for Rich, I have a X5 with brass boiler. Steam comes out of the brew head area. One service center said the temp is not be regulated properly, so it's either the heating element or the board. What about the temp sensor? Is there one or two temperature sensors. Are there more than one? A posting on the X1 said that the boiler is a Le'Lit.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello.
    I have a question I hope you could help me.
    I tried to remove the little screw which is fixed in the steam tab/knob in order to remove the steam tab and take off the cover. I am talking about the little screw which you have access from the little hοle next to the steam wand.
    Unfortunately I only managed to damage the screw and nothing more. I was not able to remove the screw and after my attempts the screw is really damaged now. Do you have any idea or any tool that I could use in order to remove it?

    Could you please let me know what kind of screw is this and if it is possible to find a replacement?

    Hopefully at some point I will be able to remover the screw but I would need a new screw to put back the coffee machine together.

    Thanks,
    Theo

    ReplyDelete
  15. i have an old x1 which i just now took to pieces to descale, however, putting it all back together i get hot water/steam out of the coffee outlet, but no steam at all throught the steamer. i think i need to sdjust the valve where the hot water/steam comes out. any ideas

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi all, I'm looking for silicone head seal for 1st gen X1 machine w/t alu boiler still.
    Any thoughts? :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This article is nicely written. A very well written guide to take care of your thermostat. Heating and Cooling Windsor

    ReplyDelete
  18. I bought my daughter a used X1 from Goodwill.com. No returns allowed. :(
    The boiler had a lot of deposits and the heating element had exploded. Any tips on where to get inexpensive parts? thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://store.electra-craft.com/francis-francis-spare-parts
      https://www.drtradingshop.nl/en_GB/c-2410784/spare-parts-francis-francis/
      these are the two places I know about. I have purchased parts on Ebay too.

      Delete