Saturday, January 9, 2010

It Lives! The X1 brews again.

A quick visit to the local tecnosystem supplier yeilded a ground conversion kit - group head gasket, screen and replacement jet - to replace the pod adaptor (bottom right). The screen and jet assembly look very much like the Lelit/La Pavoni versions.

Boiler, group shroud and element bolted in.

Steam valve, water feed, original pump and auto bleeder fitted. Nylon pipe from pump is needed to isolate noise and vibration - copper here is not good idea.


Wiring was tricky. When I bought the X1, much of the wiring was disconnected - so I couldn't really work out what went where. I found the X1 manual on line to confirm the function of the indicator lights - top one is power, bottom one is OK (on when up to temperature). I opened the X3 - but that was not helpful, as I couldn't easily trace the wiring (it was buried under components and did not follow normal wiring conventions - i.e., both phase and neutral were blue from the plug!). The Carezza has gone to a new owner so I couldn't look in there, and the Tecnosystem does not have a steam function and is therefore too simple. I ended up working out my own wiring scheme from scratch. I won't put that here for obvious reasons. Awesome birds nest!

Ready to test, front held on by Sellotape - stylish!

Fix a leak from the steam valve - and then... first coffee - yeah!

Put back together and up to temperature. Temperature gauge is not working, but it is eye candy anyway.
Another view

Coffee shrine. My double boiler! I am using the X1 to pull the shots (it has the better dispersion screen setup in my opinion as the X3 does not have the adaptor fitted at the moment - and the X3 has been pitting terribly, I take back what I said earlier about the adaptor being useless) and the X3 to steam. On the other hand, the X3 has the better temperature control, none the less, the newly modified X1 is pulling great shots. Being able to steam while the shot is being pulled is great, and not having to wait for the boiler is giving me much much better milk based coffees in the morning. My micro-foam is getting good - nice and silky, my main problem previously has been over-stretching so all I had to do was stop a bit earlier. Can't say much about my pouring skills though.

Sounds odd, but I am enjoying the feel of the toggle switches - they are very satisfying. Also like the fact that you can put the portafilter in with one hand on the X1. The lighter/narrower X3 needs a hand to hold the machine steady. With the upgrades the X1 is making better coffee that it did when new, it is great not having the compromised pod/grounds dispersion screen/group head.

Things still to do.
  1. I want to replace the vibe pump in the X1, the original one seems to be struggling. I have a brass higher wattage one from the Tecnosystem. Done, I was getting very variable extraction times.
  2. I would like to fit an adjustable OPV to the X1. There is plenty of space inside the X1 whereas there isn't in the X3, so is the better choice in that regard.
  3. I want to reposition the boiler connections. It probably doesn't make much difference in truth, but at the moment the inlet and outlets are swapped (easier to fit everything). As this requires drilling and tapping, it probably won't happen in a hurry (if ever).
  4. I am tempted to put a pressure gauge in the X1 to replace the broken temperature gauge. However there isn't a lot of room. We'll see. I am also trying to get a price on the original gauge as a spare part.
  5. I need to find a way to hold the drip tray cover of the X1 securely - it is driving me bonkers the way is slides off when you wipe.
  6. I have worked out how to fit a 3-way valve using Lelit/La Pavoni parts: copper pipe; MC027, connector: MC075, and 3-way: MC010. However, there seems no way to elegantly handle the discharge pipe. This would be easier on the X3.

14 comments:

  1. Someone as crazy as me! I'm just getting into this so, pardon my ignorance. Your blog just makes you the right person to ask.

    I'm in the US and have a stock brass boiler Francis Francis X1 that I have been dying to convert to ground coffee from pods but had to hold off on buying a kit for some time. Now that I'm settled and ready to jump back into my espresso tinkering, I'm finding it harder and harder to find a kit to buy.

    Do you know if there is a way to piece together the equivalent of the kit by purchasing through a parts vendor?

    Thanks! Definitely going to be looking a back posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're you able to convert to grounds? I would like to do the same and can't find a kit. Thanks.

      Delete
    2. I also want to convert to ground. Any advice?

      Delete
  2. Great info in this post. A quick question: how did you fix the leak from the steam wand? I have an X1 that pretty consistently leaks from the steam wand, to a point where it fills up a large mug while pulling a single shot. I've replaced the o-rings in the steam valve, but that hasn't helped.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome job Kris. I recently converted an ali boiler F F X2 to brass boilers, am very pleased with the result but still havent figured iut a way to connect the steam pipes yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a X1 with a burnt control board, I have been researching moding it with a PID and SSR. How did you wire yours without a new board or a PID?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in the same position as ejj. I'd love to modify my X1 from a pod machine to a grind machine. And I'd also love to put in a bigger grouphead in order to have a wider range of portafilters.
    Also, If ejj has found anything out, please post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wait a minute, why won't you post the wiring diagram???!!! I've got the same problem, wiring jumble that I need to sort out. Pretty please help!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks like he replaced the digital controller with a thermostat stuck on the boiler. I have an original X1 I converted to PID after the brain gave up, I am still using the alu. boiler. My x1 has the big hole dispersion screen I'd really like to upgrade the boiler like this but I'm not sure it makes sense $ wise (I got my machine for free).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Has anyone confirmed how to convert a pods only (TRIO) X1 to accept ground coffee. I got a brand new X1 TRIO for $100 so I am OK with investing extra money on parts to convert it to accept ground coffee. Any where in the US to source the parts for a reasonable amount?

    ReplyDelete
  9. My apologies for not logging in for so long.

    Yes I abandoned the electronics and replaced them with a standard thermostat - which now has been making beautiful coffee for a 18 months. I also increased the steam thermostat by 5 or 10 degrees (I now can't exactly recall) and the steaming is much more effective.

    I don't want to post my wiring diagram as I don't want anyone to kill themselves using my instructions.

    Modifying a pod only TRIO I think would require replacing the whole boiler assembly as I did in the post above. You should be able to use the Lelit or other boilers mentioned in this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kris,

    I am experiencing the same problem with the wiring. Did you by chance happen to find how the original wiring should look? I was cleaning the machine and can't get the correct configuration back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello mike, did you figer out the wiring already? I'm having the same problem as you, while cleaning i forgot to number the connectors..

      Delete
  11. Dear Kris,

    I enjoy reading your blog very much:)

    Though the title of the post is "It Lives!..." it has been 8 years since you posted
    it, so I guess you already upgraded your espresso setup from FF!
    Anyhow, maybe you or someone else can answer my question.

    At the end of the post you wrote that:
    "I have worked out how to fit a 3-way valve using Lelit/La Pavoni parts:
    copper pipe; MC027, connector: MC075, and 3-way: MC010. However,
    there seems no way to elegantly handle the discharge pipe.
    This would be easier on the X3."
    The parts are available (thogh 3-way MC010 is quite expensive) but I do not know
    how/where it should be attached to the boiler and hooked up to electric circuit.
    Any hints?

    Best,
    T.

    ReplyDelete